Unfortunately, we hit a snag getting the voting email to you this weekend. And by snag, I mean life caught up with me for a minute and I ran out of time to close the loop with our election administrator before the weekend started… This delay will not affect our ability to conduct the election or get ratification results to the City on time, it just means you won’t be getting an email with voting instructions today.
The voting email will go out by Tuesday morning, and voting will remain open through the week, until 5 pm on Friday, 1/22.
Please check both your personal email and city email accounts periodically between now and Tuesday for an email from “Los Angeles City Attorneys Association <firstname.lastname@example.org>”. That email will have detailed instructions and a link to the voting page. We will use the same process we did for our November Board elections, so the actual voting shouldn’t take more than a few minutes.
Since our membership meetings on Weds, we have learned that UFLAC, the union representing rank and file Firefighters, has also agreed to postpone their upcoming 4.5% COLA and extend their contract term. This means that nearly every bargaining unit in the City has agreed to the same basic terms.
The Board strongly recommends a YES vote to ratify this Tentative Agreement!
Here is a summary of the terms:
- No layoffs, no furloughs this fiscal year (ends 6/30/21)
- No furloughs written into the 21-22 fiscal year budget
- Extend contract term by 18 months to expire (currently 6/30/22, moved to 12/31/23)
- Postpone COLAS until the 22-23 fiscal year
- 2 additional unpaid days in the current fiscal year, for a total of 4 (includes Nov 3 and April 2 previously agreed to in SIP LOA), to be taken on 2 Fridays before a 3-day weekend (if possible)
- Receive 40 hours of additional Personal Leave per calendar year (use it or lose it, resets each year)
- Professional Development Allowance expanded to include purchases for technology and office equipment, can use FY20-21 funds for expenses incurred 3/1/20 – 6/30/20
- CTO max accruals increased to match MOU 32: 280 hrs may be accrued per calendar year / 300 hrs may be carried over year to year
- Re-opener for salaries only Jan 2022 (requires full meet & confer procedures)
- All other MOU terms remain the same (step advancement, service recognition bonus, payment of Bar dues, etc.)
As always, let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I know there are other things on your minds (workplace safety, vaccinations, childcare leave, etc.), and I will be addressing those topics in a future email. Enjoy your long weekend!
President, Los Angeles City Attorneys Association